This policy is in effect for all members of the “Fuzion Volleyball Club”, herein after referred to as the Club.
The Club uses the Skills Matrix to develop athletes and teach them the appropriate skills for their age class. On occasion, there may be an athlete whose development may make it appropriate for them to move ahead in the Skills Matrix by playing in a higher age class, or move down in the Skill Matrix by playing in a lower age class, if they qualify per Volleyball Canada guidelines.
CONDITIONS FOR PLAYING UP
• Must complete the “Fuzion Volleyball Club – Playing Outside of Age Class Form” and submit to the Technical Director no later than August 31 (Fall Season) or December 31 (Winter Season) of each year.
• Underage athletes are not allowed to tryout for the High Performance Program.
• Competitive Stream athletes are allowed to tryout for other Competitive Stream age classes.
• Development Stream athletes wishing to play up should first apply to play in their age class in the Competitive Stream.
• Athletes will be required to score a 4 or 5 on all items in the Skills Matrix for the age class they wish to skip.
• Athletes will be evaluated by the Technical Director and possibly other coaches. A score lower than 4 in any area will mean that the application will be denied.
CONDITIONS FOR PLAYING OUTSIDE OF AGE CLASS
Volleyball Canada age class guidelines stipulate that an athlete born between September 1 and December 31 may choose to stay with their school classmates or they may stay in their age class as determined by their year of birth. However, this is a one-time decision and once made, the athlete will remain with that age class as they move up each year.
For example: An athlete born between September 1 and December 31, 2000 can choose to play with athletes born in 2000 or those born in 2001.
• Athlete must be born between September and December.
• Athlete will not be allowed to play down in order to ‘stack’ a team.
• The Technical Director and Head Coach will evaluate the athlete using the Skills Matrix.
• Approval will be given at the discretion of the Technical Director and in consultation with the Athlete and their Parent(s)/Guardian(s).